Steelers Offense Struggles, Defense Saves the Day in Win Over Chiefs

Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Weslye Saunders (82) looks to keep his feet in bounds while scoring a touchdown during the first half of an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs in Kansas City, Mo., Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011. (AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

The Steelers are now 8-3 with their win over the Chiefs last night.  They came out of the gate rather slow on both ends of the ball but the defense picked up the pace after the first drive and took over from there.  The Steelers looked like they had a Thanksgiving hangover in this game.  They played rusty and slow.  This was not the team we saw before the bye week.  They should get back to normal for the next game.

The Steelers started the game out slowly.  The Chiefs came out on the first series and controlled the ball.  They drove down the field.  It was an 11 play drive that took 4:20 off the clock.  The Chiefs went no huddle which threw the Steelers off base at first.  The Steelers held up and the Chiefs only scored a field goal to take the early lead.  It would be the last lead the Chiefs would have.

The Steelers got the ball on the first series and drove it right down the field.  They got into the red zone and then sputtered.  Mwelde Moore ran down inside the five only to be stripped by Tamba Hali and the fumble was recovered by the Chiefs.  Even with the fumble it looked like the Steelers offense should have a good night.

Tyler Palko fumbled the ball on the next Chiefs possession which lead to a string of bad luck for the Chiefs.  Including that play the next three plays were all for turnovers.  Not the next 3 drives.  The next 3 plays.  The fumble was recovered by Brett Keisel and there were two passes intercepted.  One by Ike Taylor and the other by Ryan Mundy.  The Steelers offense took advantage of the Chiefs mistakes putting 10 points on the board off of the turnovers.  One of those scores was a beautiful touchdown pass from Roethlisberger to Weslye Saunders for his first career touchdown.

The Steelers took a 13-6 lead into the half.  It was the last time the Steelers would score as their offense went stagnant over the next 2 quarters.  The offense only got 5 first downs in the second half.  Roethlisberger was intercepted once and was harassed the rest of the game by the Chiefs front seven.

The defense came up big in the end though as they held Kansas City to just a field goal in the second half.  Jason Worilds picked up his first sack of the season, which was the Steelers only sack of the night.  The game ended while the Chiefs were driving into Steelers territory to try for the winning score.  Palko threw a pass deep to Dwayne Bowe.  The pass sailed high on what looked to be a miscommunication.  It was picked off by Keenan Lewis on a great leaping catch that sealed the victory for the Steelers.

The Steelers now head home to play Cincinnati who are 7-4 after their win versus the Browns yesterday.  It will be a big AFC North showdown as the loser of this match up will be fighting with 6 other teams for that last playoff spot. It will be a very important game for both sides.